Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Friday, February 20, 2015

Five For Friday - Bye, Bye Vacation!

You may have heard on the news that Boston has gotten a little snow. While it's been great fun photo-documenting snow-pocalypse, I'm about done. Six snow days, plus a week off for February vacation and I think I've actually had too much free time (I'll regret saying this after approximately one hour back at school).

It's time to get back to it. And I'm starting with a blog post. Today I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the famous Five For Friday - woo hoo!


While I didn't get to escape to sunny, sandy destination over vacation, I was fortunate enough to have a long-weekend escape with the hubby to NYC to visit two amazing friends that just got SECRETLY married! So we traded in our snow boots for....well, snow boots (it is pretty cold in The Big Apple) and hit the town. When deciding on a location to celebrate, we knew we had to choose somewhere special.  Luckily, our favorite Boston restaurant/happy place/sanctuary, Toro, just opened in New York! Bring on the patatas bravas, grilled corn, and cava-filled porrons for all. BOOM!



After a few casual years of peer-pressure hubs FINALLY agreed to let us try out Netflix. How did I ever live without it? Besides falling back into TV shows that fell by the wayside (I'm looking at you, Scandal) I've fallen hard for House of Cards. Have you seen this?! Sometimes Kevin Spacey is a bit too intense for me, but his southern charm/conniving antics are irresistible in this. And Robin Wright? Don't even get me started.



A downside to this extra free time? I have unlimited time to snack. I LOVE snacks. I'd happily forego most meals for extra snacking time any day or night. Sweet, savory, salty, chewy, crunchy, I love them all. While it's always nice to indulge sometimes, I decided it's time to make a change. Food has become to much of a priority in my life, and it's time to hit the reset button. 
I'm going to give this Whole 30 thing a whirl. I love a challenge, and if living without cheese and sugar for 30 days isn't a challenge, I don't know what is.  You'll either see me at Barre class more energized than ever, or find me grocery store hoarding every block of brie I can get my hands on. It's going to go one of two ways. 


Just one short month into this awesome world of blogging, instagraming (that's a verb these days, right?),  and getting TONS of inspiration from all you awesome teachers out there and I hit a pretty cool milestone:

200 people? Wowza! I feel pretty cool.  I know it might not be much, but it sure feels pretty great. I've been waiting for the paparazzi to show up outside my house, but they haven't come. Yet. ;)


Since I couldn't make it to a warm, sunny, beautiful beach over vacation, the next logical place to spend my time was obviously my classroom. Normal people go to work on vacation, right? Sigh.

A little T Swift in the background and I was able to hammer out some projects that have been on my mind for quite a while. Up first was reorganizing and designing our classroom break space. There's a separate blog post (AND an exciting new TPT product) about this coming soon!




And now... Francis and Claire Underwood are calling my name. Binge TV watching might be the greatest part of modern technology. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying House of Cards too and I'm excited that the new season starts this week. Congratulations on your milestone!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pixie! I can't remember the last time I was so instantly enthralled with a TV show! At the rate I'm going...I'll be ready for the new season by Monday ;) Thanks for stopping by!
      - Nicole

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed with everyone who's committing to whole30! I would love to give it a try but haven't gotten around to reading the book yet. Congratulations on your 200 followers! I'm month old blogger too and am so excited by all the connections I've been making! Looking forward to more of your posts. Enjoy your weekend!

    Jayme
    Teach Talk Inspire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayme! Thank you :) Blogging is definitely my favorite new hobby. It's so wonderful to be surrounded by a community of people that just 'get it'. Love your blog also! The retelling bookmarks are a great idea! Have a great weekend :)

      Nicole

      Delete
  3. I am nearing the end of my first Whole 30. It has been an interesting journey. I recommend reading the Whole 30 timeline on their website. I found that it was very accurate in my experience! My energy is a lot better though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myranda, Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to getting started, but know it will be a huge adjustment for me. Hoping to give it my all for 30 days and get my butt back in gear. :)

      Happy weekend!

      Nicole

      Delete
  4. Wow, congratulations with getting 200 followers! That is amazing!:)

    Alma
    Mrs. Solis Teaching Treasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alma! I'm so thrilled to be part of this wonderful community!

      Have a great weekend!

      Nicole

      Delete
  5. I'm just south of Boston, our district was at snow day number seven with February vacation on top of it. I feel like I haven't worked in forever!! I can't wait for house of cards either. My fiancé and I love it!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noelle!

      I'm going a little stir-crazy! I know I'll long for these lazy days when we are back in the swing of things, but for right now, I just want to get back to the craziness of it all.

      Happy weekend!

      Nicole

      Delete